Watch Your Elmhurst Garden Grow
The homes in Elmhurst and the surrounding DuPage County area boast some of the most beautiful landscaping in Illinois. When you live in the Chicagoland area, you know how important that window of time is when you can get outside, get your hands dirty, plant your bulbs and seeds, and watch your gardens grow. There are so many gardening aficionados in Elmhurst, that we even have an Elmhurst Garden Club.
To keep your Elmhurst garden looking its best for you and all your neighbors, here are a few tips from the Illinois Certified Nursery Professionals.
• Mow your lawn a little taller than you may think to keep the turf healthier. A healthy turf can better withstand drought and weeds. Stay within 3-4" tall.
• June is the time to begin fertilizing your annual flowers and roses. Roses need to be fertilized once every 30 days. Other flowers depend on the heat. The hotter it is, the less you fertilize.
• Do not cut, tie, or destroy foliage from bulbs that have finished flowering. They are currently in the stages of making food for next year's flowers. You will want to wait until the end of June when the leaves turn brown and dry up.
• You can still plant annuals, perennials, shrubs, and most trees. The planting season can go all the way up to the beginning of fall.
• For water gardens, cut back on feeding your fish. When it gets really hot, try not to feed them at all. Make sure 50% or more of the surface of the water is covered with lush plant material to provide the fish shade.
• Apply chemicals with caution! The same chemicals that kill the undesirable insects also kill the beautiful butterflies. To attract the butterflies, provide larval food plants.
After the day is said and done, pour yourself a drink, add an umbrella and fruit garnish, and admire your work. The lawn isn't just on display for the neighbors. It’s one of the best things about owning a home. A beautiful Elmhurst homeDream Home in Elmhurst with a garden to call your own, don't hesitate to call us. deserves a beautiful Elmhurst garden and lawn. If you are looking for your